Sunday, November 18, 2007

Cooking

I was just saying to someone about a week ago that my young son seems to have no interest in cooking. Well some things are starting to change! I have been cooking and talking about food a whole lot for the past 10 days and L is starting to take an interest. He woke up wanting to make pancakes and wondered if I would help him. He ate pancakes twice that day and woke up the next day to make them again. I think this would have continued all week had it not been for (sigh) school. One day he even helped me make carrot soup for dinner. Getting him to eat it is the real challenge, I made him taste it and he didn't run outside to spit it out so I think there is hope. Food is such an interesting thing, really. We all eat it every day and we all have such different tastes and backrounds. Most of us don't think of it except when deciding what to make for dinner or thinking I can't or shouldn't eat that because of some dietary restriction either self-imposed or an allergy or condition. Food can be so much more than that! Some of my best times have been sitting around the table with friends talking, laughing, and eating real good food. Food gives us what we need to survive but it also serves as a social means of feeding us on a whole other level.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

so nice to see you writing again!!