Friday, November 16, 2007

Time of Change


It really feels like fall now. Most of the leaves are on the ground, the slant of the sun is different and palette of color has become more subtle though no less beautiful. Oh, and the chill is in the air!

I am also striving for a change. I have begun to include as many local foods in my diet as possible. This is no small task! I have been reading a book called "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. This is a family's story about changing their diet to all local foods for a year and how and why they achieved it. I know that doesn't really sound so interesting but I assure you it is. This book is full of personal stories as well as the politics of farming and the politics of our food choices. For instance, she discusses how buying an organic vegetable from California when you live thousands of miles away might not be the best choice for the planet, the freshness and flavor factor, or your local economy. It is all very intriguing to me and I urge you to get a copy from your local library.

Change is good!

3 comments:

Petula Darling said...

The February-in-Maine dinner of pine bark and yellow snow is sure to be a big hit with the family!
I was listening to something about locovores recently - a group in San Francisco who pledged to eat only food grown within a 100 mile radius. It made me grumble that they might be far less enthusiastic about eating only locally grown food if they lived in, say, North Dakota or Maine rather than California.

Anonymous said...

The photo is great...was it taken with the scope of your rifle? Local food!

Kristin said...

I have not gone totally "loco" yet. So no dog or pine bark...I'll hit the local grocery store before that happens.