Monday, April 14, 2008

Trying to Review the Book



Here is L checking out the book the morning after I went to the book launch. He looked at it for a little while and we talked a bit about possibly taking some of his drawings and embroidering them on to cloth and making a quilt. He liked that idea.


I read the book for over a hour at 11:30pm when I got home. I don't remember too much, my eyes were glazing over but I was so excited to finally be able to read the book, not much stuck though.


There is a great idea to hang a up a wire(like a clothesline) for art, things found, inpirations, and whatever. I am going to do that, it seems like a good way to display things and yet it is not permanent(except the wire).


I gave embroidery a try the other night, just some practice stitches but it was fun. My brother called me in the middle of it and said "What are you doing? You sound so calm and relaxed." Hmm. Not a comment I hear a lot lately. I know I need to find time for it. I was inpired by The Creative Family. I needed some instuction however, so I pulled out Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework. This is a great book it has soooo much information in it. It is different than the guidebooks that are published today-it has everything from embroidery to rug making. Oh and the best part,I bought it at the thrift store for 99 cents! Here are my practice stitches.







So all in all I feel as though I have only skimmed this book and haven't read too much it at all. I am enjoying it and look forward to reading some more. When I find the time.

1 comment:

Lisa Zahn said...

Hi Aunt Kirstie! I am so jealous you got to a book signing of Amanda's. I kind of doubt she'll come to Minnesota, but I'll wait to see if she does...ha ha!

I have that old Reader's Digest book, too, and I think it's great. I pull it out once in a while and get inspired. I got it from my high school/college ex-boyfriend's grandma, when she died actually my ex's mom thought I might like it and gave it to me. I've always been into this stuff!