Thursday, April 17, 2008

Cheesemaking to Follow

Guess where I went yesterday with my son's 4-H group? Yes, that's right a sheep farm. I was in heaven (Now of course, I want some sheep of my own. As well as some chickens and maybe a couple of goats. It was always a fantasy of mine to produce my own food or at least some of it.). I think of everyone there I may have been the most excited, I kinda felt like a kid myself. Sometimes being a Mom takes you places that you might never get to on your own. At least, for me that is true.

We had a cheese tasting and then the children feed some of the sheep and we got to hold the lambs. Brand new baby lambs. It's too bad my camera battery was dying, the were very cute. Then we went to the dairy and watched as all the equipment was made ready. Then came the milking, the above photo shows the sheep all lined up ready to be milked. It was fun and interesting and just so basic. When we have milk or cheese we just don't really think about the animal and what it takes to produce these products, we are all so detached from it. I think that most people prefer it that way. I myself was fascinated by the whole thing. First they are washed and then they are hooked up to the machine. They get a little smack or some manipulation so their milk lets down, their udders and teats are constantly being touched and checked thoughout the entire process. When one group is done another is let in to be milked.

I was given a bag of milk as we left. It was still warm. I will be making cheese in the next couple of days. I am going to be making cheese and possibly some ice cream with our 4-H group in the next few weeks so I have to figure it all out. I have only made cheese once, look here: http://auntkirstie.blogspot.com/2008/01/im-maker-of-cheese.html so I am not exactly a pro. I am however, motivated to learn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eileen said...

Dang look at them dingleberries...nice shot...I used to buy candies called dingleberries when I was a kid...they were just like Spree

Anonymous said...

The trippy celular kid commented on my blog too...a bigger hug!