Sunday, August 31, 2008

Blackberries, Truly Local Food





This is how the blackberries usually look- small, sour, & most never finish getting ripe before the frost kills them. Hardly worth more than just eating a few.



Yesterday, much to my excitement, I discovered these and many, many more behind my house. I was so excited. I mean talk about local food and no cost or planting involved on my part.

This plant shows huge promise if the weather holds. There are so many berries on it but the leaves are turning and the plant at this point shows mostly berries.


YUM!!!

2 comments:

Eileen said...

They were delicious. Sorry we ate so many of them. I guess we will have to brave the crazy bugs and thorns to harvest ours tomorrow!

ADW said...

SHIT! I totally stole your blog post, If you go to my blog you'll probably see some very similar pictures, just different berries. hehe, sorry!