Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Best Pizza I Ever Ate

We were invited over our friends' house on Friday night for Pizza. They have a beautiful 200 year old farmhouse and their living room has a large fireplace with a bread oven on one side. It is in such good condition that I asked how old it was, and it is original. In this day & age it is hard to imagine building something in my house that would look good and still be usable 200 years later. Times have changed!

Every once in a while they get this oven going and have a pizza night. I love pizza and the company was good so I knew I would be in for a fun evening. What I didn't know was how delicious the pizza was going to be. This first picture is right after the pizza went into the oven.


You can see here that the fire has died down some but the oven temp was quite hot. The pizza was pulled out and turned periodically so it would cook evenly.

I put this shot in so you can get a glimpse of the domed top of the inside.



Done! The flavor was unlike any I had ever eaten. Very smokey and tasty. Lite on the cheese with artichokes, sauteed onions, mushrooms, and some feta.
I truly want one of these ovens in my home some day, not a simple task to undertake. You can't buy one of these ovens at your local "mart".


3 comments:

Unknown said...

HOLY CRAP,THAT LOOKS GOOD

Mary Beth said...

That looks delicious, and what a treat to see and read about your friends' 200 year old oven. That is truly heartening.

Also, congratulations--you won the book giveaway on my blog. Please e-mail me!

Lisa Zahn said...

That pizza looks awesome! And yes, what a cool oven.