Friday, March 20, 2009

Mmmm, these taste like Papa's Store

It is funny to realize you are middle aged, it happens for me in bits & pieces. I didn't feel middle aged when I turned 40, it happens for me in small moments. I don't mind, but I do notice.

I was driving my soon to be 20 (!) year old daughter to an appointment today and we stopped at the coop on the way home and I picked up some of these yummy earth balls. They are dairy free and malt sweetened ( I have given up dairy and sugar) so I bought them for a treat. We ate these as a treat when my grown children were small. Hay asked me if she could have one and I said yes. She popped it into her mouth and then said " These taste like Papa's Store.". This simple statement brings with it a whole flood of memories, memories from quite some time ago. A time when I had 2 kids not 3 and these kids were very little and I was their world. I am not sad or regretful. I am just noticing how much time has passed.

So time marches on. My youngest child came home from school today and asked if he could go to the dance tonight...OK now I am feeling a bit middle aged.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I getting some of these from the Alternative Market too.

Lisa Zahn said...

Good story. I'm turning 40 next year, and I'm starting to feel that a bit...