Monday, February 25, 2008

View from Across the Universe, or at least Across the Couch

Pretty exciting, isn't it? This is how I have spent the last several days. I watch a lot of TV when I'm sick and tired. I started with Veronica Mars a show which I loved but most people have never watched. Then, I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer and well my first impressions of it proved to be correct, it seemed cheesy and kinda meaningless. Now I know lots of people who love this show and think it is the greatest so I thought I would like it more than I did. I gave it a fair shot and watched 8 episodes. I guess it's not for me. Then it was on to the Gilmore Girls which is an old favorite of mine, something to take my mind off of how I felt and yet I could sleep through it and it wouldn't make any difference.

I decided to watch Across The Universe which I have heard many good and bad things about. It is a musical and most often when I hear that it is not the choice I make. Although there are exceptions Mulan Rouge and Bride and Prejudice are both movies that I really enjoy. Across the Universe is not your typical musical. The story is told roughly through Beatles songs, the story itself could at times be vague but once I realized that it was more about the music than the story and that the music was awesome, I just went with it and enjoyed. Great music, great costumes, and great cinematograghy. I decided to let L watch with me, it's PG13 and so I wasn't sure but I thought it fine, there was some nudity but it was like an art piece and some references that went over his head but no big deal. It was a suprise to me that Bono was in it, he looked so different I wasn't sure it was him, Eddie Izzard is there, and Joe Cocker shows up too. Now the funny thing was that L really liked it and this child is not much of a music fan. This is the kid who at age 2 would take his tiny little hand and cover my mouth up if I tried to sing him a lullaby (I know my voice isn't that good but the other 2 loved it when I sang to them). So anyway he really liked it, we then proceeded to watch all of the second disc full of extras. I am giving it my recommendation!

I am thankfully on the mend. I have lots of work to catch up on and now am on my way down to Portland to drop off my oldest son Corwin he is on his way back to N.C. after a very brief visit with us (he spent most of his time with his friends). I'll be back soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank god for the local video shop when you are sick! Sick sucks.

Anonymous said...

get well soon, we missed you @ knitting. eileen made me the most beatiful pillow and you missed it! you guys will have to come over for a beverage soon and see it!