Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm the Maker of the Cheese

Well, technically "we" (L & I) are the makers of cheese! It was 30 minute mozzerella and it only took us about an 1 1/2 hours, not too bad for our first time. I asked L if he wanted to make cheese and he said "Why would anybody want to make cheese?". So I started and kept calling him over to look and the comments changed as we went through the process. (Anything in quotes are his comments)



I let 1 gallon of raw milk warm up to 55 degrees and added citric acid. Then I continued warming it up to 90 degrees.



This is when added the rennet and continued heating.
" This is so cool"



AT 105 degrees and looking very curdled and stringy.
"We should do this everday!"



Squeezing out the whey and making the cheese into balls.
"This is so fun"



I heated the whey and we dipped the balls in to warm them up and shape them.



The cheese was delicious we ate most of it right away.
"Can I have another piece?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What motivated you to do this? I would never thing it was possible!!! I see another project in my near future.

Anonymous said...

You rock mama! Looks awesome, glad you took step-by-step pictures! See you Thursday at knitting I hope!

Lisa Zahn said...

Did you get the idea from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle? My husband and I are going to try this soon! It looks awesome, and so yummy. Lisa in MN