Thursday, January 10, 2008

Netflix or Local


I know lots of people who use Netflix. In fact, I have people who come into my store or that at least know I have a video store and they like to tell me how great Netflix is. I usually just smile-sometimes I ask why they use it. There are a variety of reasons. I also have a loyal group of customers some don't have a computer. Some customers tell me they are specifically choosing to rent at my store because they want to support the local economy. Some just come in because it is close to where they live, it has great selection, and to see my awesome employees.

My store is doing good and I know for a fact that my store would be doing great if Netflix wasn't so popular. I know that I wouldn't have been so worried when PJ lost his job in December. If Netflix didn't exist I could support my family entirely not just supplement it.

My point is to those of you who like to shop local and want to support your local community-it is more than buying local produce or handmade goods. It means making a choice to give your $ to a human being and not a huge corporation. Easy to talk about but it takes a huge effort to do it for real!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

she's right. If you are upset about the state of the economy in your locale, stands to reason you would want to keep the money that is already there, um, there.

Anonymous said...

right on sistah! I march my butt around the corner and rent local movies (or to the local library where they are free) and if your shop was close by you'd be my first stop!

ps- it was good to see you at knitting tonight!