Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pretty...Pretty Ugly

Just like my brother used to say to me. " Hey, you're pretty...pretty ugly." Poor potholder.




After completing my other domino square potholder, I thought about how much fun domino squares are to make and decided to use the materials on hand to make another potholder. I wanted to try knitting just the one layer instead of the deluxe,double layer one. I didn't have the greatest colors but I went for it and as so often happens when you use up odds and ends, I found I needed to find some more at the yarn store. As you can see, Maine is NOT the best source for cotton yarn, the shops tend to specialize in wool and other warm fibers, understandably so. I found some that worked okay colorwise but not exactly my favorites to work with.



Oh well, it was quick and fun too. As you can see it works just fine.

I am on to finishing another baby sweater...another long neglected project that is now very close to being done.

3 comments:

Lisa Zahn said...

Thanks for posting on my blog, about the granola-making. I love comments! How did you find me?

I don't think you're potholder is so ugly. It looks homemade, which I love!

Lisa in MN

Lisa Zahn said...

Hi! Thanks so much for the comment you made on my blog about my son. So I'm not alone in wanting to explain him? It's nice to know that. I've found others who have blogged about their kids who "sit on the fence", undiagnosed but still "different", and it really helps to know there are others out there.

I remember "quirky" kids from when I was a kid. I'm sure there was no diagnosis of anything back then, and I'm not sure why we want to diagnose everyone these days. I think we don't allow enough room for differences, really. Still, everything I've read by an Aspergers person says they were glad for the diagnosis because it helped them understand why they were different. For now I'm mostly happy to just talk a lot with my son, try to help him with social skills and self esteem, and be okay when things don't go so great (like at the piano recital I wrote about). It might be easier to tell an adult, "oh, he has Aspergers" but really do we want to take that route all the time?

Are your kids in school or do you home school? We've done some of both. The last two years they've been in school. I think we may homeschool next year, though that thought thrills me and terrifies me at the same time!

I see you are in Maine. Do you know Amanda Soule? I realized you found me through her blog. It's just a beautiful blog, isn't it? She inspires me so much. She's got a gift.

Lisa

Eileen said...

I love the potholder...does it keep the heat out?